Thursday, March 20, 2008

What day...

What wonders a day away from work will do.

Actually it wasn't an entire day. I went to work but by 8:00, I knew it had been a mistake to try. I only had about three hours of sleep the night before. Why? I have no clue. It's something that happens now and then and I don't know why. I just can't sleep. I've tried all the "cures" that have been suggested, warm milk and the whole routine. Nothing works on one of those nights. So I just make the best of it and read usually. Then the next day...well, some times I can make it and some times I can't. Yesterday I couldn't. Now, I'm not sure what kept the better half from getting a good sleep. I was told, but I simply don't recall. Better half was wiser and stayed home to begin with.

So I left at 8:00 and went home to bed. Daven Dog woke me about 12:15. He's a good alarm clock...if you don't want to sleep too long. Otherwise, he's a pain. But I was glad for his visit yesterday.

And so there was enough of the day left to enjoy it. We went to Barnes and Noble for lunch (the cafeteria) and wandered in the book store for awhile, coming away with an $88 bag of books. Mostly my fault, I'm afraid. However, I said just yesterday that better half doesn't do recreational reading. Well, better half found a book that was interesting (and read the first chaper last night), and a Sky & Telescope magazine. I have to admit responsibility for the rest of the bill. We stopped in Office Depot for some supplies.

At home I worked on designing some title pages for my self bound books. Just a couple of them. The internet connection was acting up again, so that sidetracked me for more time than I foresaw or wanted. That's why I got so little done.

However, we went for an early supper at the Olive Garden. A leisurely supper, forced on us by the longer than usual wait. But that did give us time to sit and talk quietly. A relaxing moment which is so rare these days.

I still had time to write for an hour and a half, bind two books, and read one of my new books for an hour. It was amazing that I got so much done. When I had finished the binding, I was astounded that it was only 7:30. Work certainly takes up a lot of time from my day. Not to mention that better half works so much later and has half an hour drive before we can have supper and then it's about 6:00. No wonder we never do anything. We don't have time to.

What a great day we had together. Time away from work is so valuable. Time together is very valuable. It was a great and grand day. It was worth missing most of a night's sleep.

No comments: