Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Observer of the passing parade of life

Just how did we get along before the advent of ubiquitous laptops and cell phones? Can the connected generation imagine days without calling from the car or mall, or not checking email? No, no, this is not a rant on cell phones or how electrical devices are taking over our lives. To be a good observer, one should observe and, if so moved, comment, not rant. Rants are left to social commentators and complainers. I just had a weekend without the DSL working and it was painful to be out of touch, I have to admit it.

That's what made me begin thinking about this. What did I do before the days of email? Of course everything was different then too. None of us had email and we were used to living that way. Therefore, the possibility of service being out was not something we had to face and survive. But when one is out of touch with all those folks and services in cyberspace, then one is truly alone. Strange. How alone does one feel when there are still so many people about one? And yet this is the commonality I've heard when those around me have been unconnected for more time than it takes to walk from one wifi locale to another. It feels so alone not being about to reach out and touch people around the world with a quick note, or to call up any web site to slake the constant desire for information or contact...or to overcome boredom.

My very unscientific and hardly random poll of cell phone users reveals that the largest percent of calls are made because it's "something to do". It "passes the time". Particularly in cars, and the longer the drive, the longer the call.

Are we so bored with everyday life that we need to constantly entertained? Or is it that we need to be constantly stimulated? (See the blog entry for 21 March, "Ordinary Things".) If we need so many things to pass time, that indicts our time and what we do with it. (Me included. It's not an accusation. It's an observation.)

Are we so afraid of being alone that we need to be in continual contact with someone, even if it is just a blog that doesn't react or comment. (But may draw others who do.) So that begs the question is it really fear of aloneness or just intolerance of it? Or can it be that we each think many things we do are so significant that the world needs to be informed? Or that we are seeking (like any other "classic" addict) more and more sensation as we become jaded by what we've been doing the last couple of weeks. New contacts, new sites, new blogs, new Youtube videos, new chatrooms. The study of content of what people most often visit would help shed light on the questions. Perhaps another informal poll is needed. Or not. It wouldn't bring my life to a hideous end if I never figured this one out. Or maybe the people I know will tire of my questions and flame me. Or maybe they will just ignore me. And that would be the worst of all...to be disconnected, alone. Nah, not really. As long as I have my books and writing, I'm never alone, nor lack for entertainment.

No comments: