Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Taking stock

Things have slipped a little and a lot in the past month or six weeks. The big slippers I'm only too aware of. The little slippers have managed to surprise me; in light of other goings on they managed to slide right past me. So it's time to halt in my steps for a few moments and figure out what is going on.

I have too much to do. Oh, sure we all do. Everyone is so busy these days. I do have all those "have to do" things as well. But my fun avocations have piled up and now seem an impossible to separate and organize pile. That's what I'm trying to figure out right now.

For starters, I need a list...
1. reading
2. art
2a. illustrations for book
3. writing
4. pattern art

For the moment, let's start with that. Those are the things that seem most important to me at the moment. Well, that makes it easy, right? I could spend one night on each project and have the weekend left for what strikes me. It seems so simple that way. But it never works out that way at all. Nights seem so short and many times I only get an hour to invest in whatever I choose to do that night. That's hardly enough time to really get into some projects. So what I really want to do is to have two, three or more nights in a row on a project. Okay, fine...sounds good to me. Then the others fall behind. Rats. No simple answer. Not to mention that unexpected things come up and spoil the rhythm of one night each. I guess there is no one good way to do it. Very frustrating for one who generally is quite organized and can always find time to tuck in for something that comes up.

So has life gotten that hectic that I can't do this anymore, or have I slipped that far from the ability to organize? That's a hard call to make. Who knows? I suppose it doesn't truly matter in the grand scheme of things. In a hundred years who will know or care? That's the pragmatic and realist way to see it rather than getting tied up in knots over it. But it doesn't really tie me up in knots. I just puzzle over it the same calm way I puzzle over a sudoku, or the Sunday crossword. The answer is there, one just must be able to apply the logic and the knowledge to entice the answer out.

Then on the other hand, I could go home, play with the dogs and talk to my wonderful spouse all night long.

No comments: