Thursday, October 2, 2008

I just want to do my job

So you'd think that management would be quite happy and content with an employee who just wants to get the job done and, essentially, be left alone to do it. A bit of peace and reasonable requests and, as I've been told so many times, once I apprehend what is required I do the job quickly and well. So why is it so difficult then to apprehend, or to even find sanity in the workplace at this moment? Why, when one has sought direction and not gotten it, does the task leader get his drawers in a wad when direction is sought above him? Oh, I know...he thinks that makes him look bad. However, if he'd been doing his job then it would not have been necessary to seek further direction. Makes sense to me. After all, when one finds not enough time to get the job done and the task leader is a brick wall, what is one to do?

After a meeting with the task lead, I was left with a schedule of 26 hours of meetings, overlapping meetings. Do the math. That leaves 14 hours to do actual work; not even two full work days. And yet task leader seemed content to leave the situation this way. Then along comes contractor support and drops a new task at my feet, including 40+ hours of meetings this week, on top of what I already do. Is there any wonder that I sought help from above? How does one figure out how or what to do when everyone needs 3/4 of your time simultaneously and your #1 task isn't getting done...has not been touched in over a month.

My manager was happy that I came to him for advice and guidance. However, he's distance and not very available. Task leader sits two offices away, close enough to glare his deadly glance at every chance and plot revenge. No, not all task leaders are that way. I have had some who were quite reasonable. But this one is full of himself and on his way up, so he thinks. Therefore any mark that has even a hint of darkness to it is anathema to him. Well, less than 5 years to retirement...

I really don't like using the blog for this, but it's either vent some of the frustration, or let it out at an inappropriate time or an inappropriate way. Thank you, blog, for listening

No comments: