Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pie

Roy told me of a fellow who gives motivational talks. This fellow used the metaphor of a pie to demonstrate how some people build others up while others only tear down. He referred to them as pie givers and pie takers. Roy told me I needed to surround myself with more pie givers, so I would have pie instead of a lack of pie.

I like the metaphor.

Roy is a pie giver. I always have excess when I have been around Roy. I want to be a pie giver too. He taught me that it takes so little time and effort to be nice to someone and make them feel good. It's a simple lesson and I should have learned it long ago. However, it came at a time when I was so much more susceptible to it, and it came from one who does live what he says. Roy talks the talk and walks the walk.

I want to also.

This last weekend I had a weekend filled to overflowing with people who built me up. (Note to myself for memory aide, but to stay modest also. It was at an award ceremony.) Quite literally everyone was nicer than I realized so many people could be at one time and place. From Dr. Meehan to the lady who controlled access to the suites and so opened the door for everyone...with a big smile every time. Everyone was so wonderful. I rode an emotional high from Saturday morning until Tuesday morning. An overflowing of pie that took me through more than one day.

And then Tuesday morning, this morning, I attended a forum where quite literally everyone was cold and pushy and...well, to keep it clean and simple...very much not nice. Pie robbers. They didn't get pie from me because I wanted to give it to them. They took it by force against my wishes. Robbery. They took even when there was nothing left to take.

No wonder I was in such a horrible and angry mood when I got home. Spouse wondered what in the world was wrong with me...and why the very sudden and quite drastic change.

Robbers. Meanies. Self-absorbed.

It's a cold world.

That's why I want to be a pie giver. But I want to do it willingly, and sincerely. I don't want to be extorted.

My experience of this morning could have left me bitter enough to trash the entire idea. Why should I go out of my way to be nice to people who are robbers? Well, I don't want to be like the rest of the cold world. I want to be one of those who helps change the world. Yeah, serving pie always makes people happy. Just think of a big slab of hot apple pie with cold ice cream melting over the sides. Makes you smile, doesn't it? It makes others smile too when they receive it.

Build up.

Be a pie giver.

Thanks, Roy, for being a pie giver and for teaching me how to be one.

No comments: