Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Gee...

I realized this morning that 21 Sept will be my 27th anniversary with NASA. Talk about a long and winding road... Even though I've written of frustrations and discontent, I guess I really wouldn't choose something different even if I could. There have been good times too, and besides, I have no idea what I'd be stepping into if I could change things. I could be heading into something worse.

And so I'll pick back up the celebration of NASA's 50th, which is truly official on 1 Oct. I'll try to embrace that vision of a new era in space travel, and getting in on the beginning of a new launch vehicle design, rather than seeing the dull and dreary day-to-day routine which this can sometimes be. I wish I could re-capture that childhood wonder that I had during the days of Gemini and Apollo. It pokes its head up now and again, but for such short periods. Trying to grab it and hold it is like trying to grasp the wind. It can be fleeting. Of course so many things are different and account for this. Life is not the simple and carefree time that it was back then. Now it is reality, which can be very ugly and difficult...painful. That surely takes some of the joy from many things, not just re-catching the thrill of exploration. Wishing for other days or for lost things may be encouraging to others, but it is a waste to me, since it produces little and lasts brief. So, once more in life, I pledge to take things one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. I pledge to remember the beautiful sky this morning and the birds singing it in. I pledge to let go and quit holding on so tightly. Perhaps I can become fleeting as well...

No comments: